On September 11, the world stopped. On September 12, their stories moved us all.
Come From Away tells the remarkable true story of thousands of stranded passengers and the small town in Newfoundland, Canada that welcomed them. Cultures clashed and nerves ran high, but uneasiness turned into trust, music soared into the night, and gratitude grew into enduring friendships.
This global phenomenon is now playing on Broadway, Toronto and across North America and coming to Melbourne in July 2019!
Don’t miss this breathtaking new musical written by Tony and Grammy nominees Irene Sankoff and David Hein, and helmed by this year’s Tony winning Best Director, Christopher Ashley with musical staging by Tony nominee Kelly Devine.
Timeline of events:
Tuesday, September 11, 2001
• 9:26am – The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) makes the decision to shut down its airspace, forcing over 400 planes to land at the nearest airport. Inbound flights from Europe are diverted to Canada
• 12:00pm – Gander International Airport is told 18 planes will be flying into the airport. Passengers are not allowed to leave the plane.
• 12:15pm – 13 additional planes land at Gander International Airport
• 4:30pm – A total of 38 planes have landed in Gander, carrying 6,579 passengers and crew. For a town like Gander with a population of 10,000 people, this was an extraordinary challenge to take on.
• 5:17pm – Passengers are allowed to leave the plane. It’s been over 5 hours since they’ve first landed and have stayed inside the plane on Gander’s runway. The “Come From Aways” are driven to Salvation Army centres, churches, schools and community centres in Gander and in neighbouring towns.
Thursday, September 13, 2001
• 12:00am – Planes begin to be cleared for takeoff and continue throughout the day.
Sunday, September 16, 2001
• 1:05pm – All remaining “Come From Aways” arrive at Gander International Airport for takeoff.
• 6:20pm – The final diverted plane takes off.
THE STORY OF COME FROM AWAY
MEET THE CHARACTERS
Many of the characters in the show are based on real people or composites of them. Get to know a few of the incredible people who lived this story.
CAPTAIN BEVERLEY BASS
Jenn Colella won a Drama Desk Award for her portrayal of Captain Beverley Bass in Come From Away. Learn how these two extraordinary women influenced one another and created an unbreakable bond.
TIXSTAR is your destination for premium sports & entertainment experiences – find the best range of theatre tickets and packages all in the one place to enjoy the next musical blockbuster.